Wednesday, June 27, 2007

We had our first rehabilitation team conference at Sharp.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Today I met Josh's entire medical team in the conference room of Sharp Rehab and discussed Josh's treatment plan and progress. Josh was present at the meeting and acted appropriately, nodding his head after everyone spoke.   Dr. Stenehjem led the meeting and each therapist spoke individually about Josh's progress.  Everyone says he is doing incredibly well and is advancing along nicely.  Josh's PT, OT, and speech therapist gave Josh rave reviews. 

Josh has a neuropsychologist,  Dr. Juan Hill, who will be conducting various cognitive tests on Josh.  He seems like a nice guy.  I also met the social worker who will provide me with various resource information and support.  I am going to my first class today in the education room on communication, cognition and swallowing.  (Just what I always wanted to do!) 

I also have a case manager at Sharp who will go to bat for me with the insurance company.  She is a nice gal, Ella.  Her son graduated from UofA last year with a degree from the Eller College of Management, the same program Josh was in.

Dr. S. has eliminated Josh's pain patch and he seems to be doing okay with that.  He was on 25 mcg of fentanyl.  Dr. Tuomi, one of the doctors on the board of directors at San Diego Hyperbarics, says this medicine causes a hard withdrawal but from what I understand, 25 mcg is a low dose.  Dr. S. says he'll slowly wean Josh off the morphine. 

Dr. S. says give Josh TWO YEARS to see his recovery.   That's a long time.  I need to chill out !   

After the meeting Josh says, "Mom, when you leave tell me.  I am coming with you..."     

I felt better after the meeting and went to Bloomingdale's and did some retail therapy damage - new shoes and jewelry, just what I need! 

No comments: