Sunday, June 17, 2007

Josh pulls out his trach and is sent to the hospital!

Sunday, June 17, 2007 

I get a phone call around 1 a.m. from Barbara, the night nurse at CareMeridian.  She tells me Josh has pulled out his trach and was sent to Palomar Hospital.  I speak with the emergency room doctor and he tells me Josh is fine, that he really does not need the trach since he is breathing so well on his own.  He just patched Josh up and sent him back to CareMeridian. 

I arrive at CareMeridian around noon and Josh was hanging out watching the US Open. His trach opening had already closed up.  Reggie says he'll heal up fast.  He was talking non-stop.  Half the time I couldn't understand him.  Reggie told me he was up all night and that he hadn't slept a wink.  Josh was talking about the future.   I couldn't understand him and he was getting frustrated.  So he blurts out F U T U R E , spelling it for me.    I said, "Oh, you're talking about the future."  He says, "Yes, I have a future."  I said "yeah, you do, Josh."  Then he starts babbling away in Spanish.  "Si, si, si si, si" he says.  "No se."  (I don't know) he says about 10 times. Then he looks at the tv and starts talking about Tiger Woods. 

Thoughts and memories are flooding Josh's mind and he is talking about everything and everyone.  It's crazy.  When I want to distract Josh, I give him something hard to do, like unscrewing the top of a bottle.  He'll work with it for a long time and he will eventually do it.  Josh is very determined. 

Yesterday about ten of his friends came by.  We all hung out on the back patio.  It was a beautiful day.  Josh wanted everyone to tell him what their football numbers were.  He was barking orders at everyone. 

  

No comments: