Friday, October 12, 2007

I AM LEAVING FOR CATALINA ISLAND THIS MORNING! NO JOSH FOR FOUR DAYS!

After more than six months of caring for Josh every single day, I am taking off for Catalina Island this morning to celebrate a girlfriend's 60th birthday!  We're going to the jazz festival.  I can't wait!!!  I need a break so desperately.

Last night Natalie and I took Josh to the Howard House in Escondido, a private home run by the San Diego Brain Injury Foundation.  There are only four patients there and it seems like a loving, caring place.  The director, Beth, is young and beautiful, kind and compassionate...  So, how bad can this experience be for Josh?  Beth is willing to take Josh to his three therapies at Sharp on Friday and Monday.  I think it's a good thing.  It's better than leaving Josh at home with caregivers who will let him eat all day.  At the Howard House, Josh will have structure which he needs.

We have a memory book for Josh which we write in every day which states what we're doing for the day.  I make Josh bring this with him when we get in the car so he can refer to it when he asks me 100 times where we're going.  Natalie said to me yesterday that Josh has a "17 second memory".  She says, "I timed it, Mom, and Josh can remember things for 17 seconds." 

I'll update the blog when I get home and tell you all the latest on Josh's most recent appointments with Dr. Stenehjem and his ear, nose and throat man, Dr. Jackson...

Josh looks great and is pretty good with his fine motor skills.  He can still play video games.  I'll put photos on the blog next time. 

See ya and thanks for reading the blog!

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time... you so deserve it. Call me when you are back and I will bring Josh a "Board and Brew" lunch on my day off. Nancy P.